8 Reasons You Should Be Using Soy Candles Instead
When it comes to candles for your home there are so many choices out there. Some are beautiful and trendy, others are minimalist and understated, but what’s in these candles anyway? One of the big questions is what kind of wax do I choose: soy, paraffin, beeswax, palm, unlabeled mystery wax? The vast majority of candles on the market are either made from soy or paraffin wax.
1. If you are a frequent candle user, it may interest you to know that soy candles will not ruin your walls or upholstery vs. paraffin candles. Paraffin candle emissions build up surfaces over time, discoloring your walls, fabrics and carpets and ultimately affecting the air quality in your home.
2. Paraffin wax may contain Benzene. Paraffin wax is a derivative of petroleum and it has been claimed in a 2009 study by South Carolina State University that paraffin wax candles emit benzene. Benzine is a carcinogen as classifies by the American Cancer Society. The same study also found that soy wax did not.
3. Soy candles are actually more economical! While often the outright price of soy candles may appear to be more, when considering how much slower soy burns in comparison to paraffin, you will actually use less candles and save a bunch of money. Check out these Crystal Reiki Soy Candles from New Earth that not only have an average burn time of up to 48 hrs, they contain essential oils in lieu of artificial fragrances to boot!
4. Using soy candles produces 90% less soot than paraffin, reducing indoor pollution and avoiding breathing and lung problems.
5. Soy is sustainable! Candles being made from renewable resources that are grown sustainably makes a big impact on the environment vs. paraffin which is made from petroleum as a byproduct of making gasoline… gross.
6. Easy clean up! Soy wax is softer and biodegradable. If it spills on a surface or even fabric, chances are you should be able to clean it up with some hot soapy water vs scraping until your arm falls off or you’ve damaged whatever it was you were trying to clean… (not that I’m speaking from experience or anything…)
7. Soy doesn’t create as much heat making it more pleasant for summer evenings, crowded rooms or holidays during which you’ve had the oven running all day.
8. You are supporting U.S. agriculture. When you buy soy anything, chances are it's from the good old USA. The United States is the number one producer of soy in the world.
With all this evidence we think its easy to see why soy candles are so popular today. When selecting your candles, keep an eye out for other nefarious ingredients like synthetic fragrances, artificial colorants or mysterious additives. Look for brands that tout clean ingredients like essential oils or that is devoid of colorant at all. We hope you enjoy your next candle all the more knowing you are not only enjoying ambiance, but making a healthier choice in the process.